Sunday, 10 November 2013

Going the Distance...

A bit of a different post from me today, I'm sat here on my own after my boyfriend has left for home and I know I won't get to see him again for a while, so I thought I'd write this post.

He lives a 120 mile round trip away from me, both of us work full time, which means we end up seeing each other every other weekend - sometimes we only have to wait a week which is nice, but still pretty hard to deal with. We've been doing this for 4 years and it's all we've ever known, We met whilst we were at uni (he was the house mate of my best friend and I went to a seperate uni 2 hours train journey away) and we've always seen each other as often as we could. I think if we'd lived close to each other to start with and then had to do long distance it would have been harder for our relationship to survive, however whilst long distance relationships do majorly suck sometimes I think it has made our relationship stronger.

When he or I leave on the Sunday evening to make the journey back home it feels like a wrench in my stomach, I miss him instantly and my house feels empty. The positive of this is that I look forward to seeing him so much & it feels really fresh & exciting when I do get to see him again, I really make the most of seeing him so we often try and go out and do something whenever we see each other.

I'm not going to pretend it's not hard, but it does have it's positives - we both get the space & free time that we might not get if we lived closer. After 4 years together I know that soon we will start to think about moving closer together, but then that brings up the challenges of where will we live? Both of us have lives in seperate places & it's not fair for one of us to have to give it all up - but I know we will work it out and compromise in some way or another. I am confident that we will make a good team and living together will be the next step for our relationship.

And honestly? I wouldn't change our relationship at all - people may be sceptical but it works perfectly for us, I just hate having to say goodbye on the Sunday night!

Has anyone else had a long distance relationship? How do you find it? xx

 

2 comments:

  1. Aw that's so lovely and nice to hear! You only seem to hear negatives about long distance relationships so it's lovely to hear that it's working for you both but does sound like hard work. I was the other way round with my uni boyfriend and we saw each other every single day and things moved way too fast and we were always on top of each other and in each other's way, so I suppose you can have negatives either way! We're still together 6.5 years later and married now though so not all bad :) x

    Claire | AgentSmyth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really amazing, makes me feel very hopeful for the future of our relationship - sometimes it gets really hard and I wish we lived closer but at the same time it's really helped us to get stronger as a couple whilst still getting a little bit of space when we need it. thank you for your lovely comment! :) xxx

      Delete

Your comments make me smile & I read each one, I will always try to reply - please leave links to your blog! xxx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...