Tuesday, 19 February 2013

Book Of The Week... Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop of Dreams



Book of the Week...
 Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop of Dreams
Jenny Colgan

The Blurb...
Where you a sherbet lemon or a chocolate lime fan? penny chews or hard boiled sweeties? The jangle of your pocket money... the rustle of the pink and green striped paper bag...
Rosie Hopkins thinks leaving her busy London life, and her boyfriend Gerard, to sort out her elderly Aunt LIlian's sweetshop in a  small country village is going to be dull. Boy, is she wrong.
Lilian Hopkins has spent her life running Liptons sweetshop, through wartime and family feuds. As she struggles with the idea of that it might finally be time to settle up, she also wrestles with the secret history hidden behind the Jars of beautifully coloured sweets. 

RRP: £7.99 but available cheaper on Amazon. 

My Thoughts: 
I wasn't too sure about this book when I first picked it up from the library, to be honest I thought it was going to be far too fluffy for even me, but I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I loved the characters, Rosie is instantly likeable and she deals with a lot of issues that are very easy to relate to. For me the main source of pleasure I got from this book was watching the relationship between Rosie and her Aunt Lilian develop over the progress of the book, I believe that the older generation deserve respect and dignity and that is something this book touches on. This is another book that flits back and forth in time - most of Lilians story is told in the past and explains to the reader how things got to where they are when Rosie arrived. 
This book wasn't as girly and soppy as I thought it was going to be, there is a romantic element to the story but again I wont say to much so I don't spoil anything if you want to go and read the book, but this is balanced well with the other areas of the book. 

Marks out of ten? 8

Rachie xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile & I read each one, I will always try to reply - please leave links to your blog! xxx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...