Tuesday, 26 February 2013

Book of The Week... Life of Pi

Life of Pi - Yan Martel 



The Blurb: One boy, one boat, one tiger ...After the tragic sinking of a cargo ship, a solitary lifeboat remains bobbing on the wild, blue Pacific. The only survivors from the wreck are a sixteen year-old boy named Pi, a hyena, a zebra (with a broken leg), a female orang-utan and a 450-pound Royal Bengal tiger. The scene is set for one of the most extraordinary and best-loved works of fiction in recent years.

Price: Kindle edition is currently 20p on Amazon (yes 20p!) 

My Thoughts: I really wanted to read this book before I went and saw the film and when I saw that it was for sale on amazon for only 20p (less than a bar of choccie!) I jumped at the chance to read this modern classic. The book is divided into 2 parts, the first part is a kind of prequal to the actual story, it explores the role of zooology and religion within Pi's life before the sinking - something that is crucial to the way the story pans out. To be honest I found this first part hard to read, I didn't understand why it was relevant to the story and what it was trying to tell me however, when I actually got into the 2nd part of the book which is the actual story of the shipwreck and Pi's survival I found that reading the first part of the book had actually helped me to understand the context of the novel in the second part of the book. The book is exciting, and intense, however some parts of the book were a little too graphic for my liking. It really is a magical book and I couldn't stop reading - I think I finished this book in a record 2 days!  

Out of Ten? A solid 9. If you want a page turner - this is the book for you.

Rachie xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile & I read each one, I will always try to reply - please leave links to your blog! xxx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...