Monday, 1 October 2012

Book of The Week...The secret Shopper's Revenge

Book of The Week:

The Secret Shoppers Revenge:
Kate Harrison.



The Blurb:
New mum Emily wants revenge on the stick-thin assistants who laugh at her post-baby tummy and post-baby budget. But frumpiness has it's advantages when your wielding a secret camera. 
Store manager Sandie has a lifelong love of retail. Then's she's fitted up by an ambitious assistant and secret shopping is the only way to keep her passion alive.
And glamorous widow Grazia can't leave behind the high life, despite her chronically low bank balance. The more she's buying - and spying - the less time she has to mourn her husband. 
They're Charlies shopping angels, controlled by a mysterious figure who sends them assignments from heaven - and the occasional one from hell...

Price and Place:
RRP: 9.99 but I got mine free from my local library, you can also pick it up pretty inexpensively from amazon.

My Thoughts:
Back to the usual girly books this week :) I picked this book up because I have to admit I do have a bit of a love with retail, a lot of my past jobs have been within the retail sector and whilst I loved it I can totally relate to some of the issues these three women face. 
From reading the blurb I wasn't sure if I was going to like all the characters, I don't think it paints a very nice picture of them but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I really loved all three characters and it was nice to see a vulnerable and likeable side to them, rather than the shallow  sort of characters I had thought them to be. 
Whilst this book has a light and funny appearance, it actually deals with three very serious issues, redundancy, unfaithfulness and grief. I think that Kate Harrison presented these issues in a way which made me really feel what these women were going through, whilst still being able to keep it a light and upbeat book. 
This book switches between the three characters perspectives - something I really like as you can really get inside the characters heads. 

In a Nutshell:
I enjoyed this book for the fact that it was able to tell a funny and interesting insight into the world of secret shopping whilst it was also able to deal with more serious issues that I could personally relate to. I liked how the book switched from one character to another - it made the storytelling much more interesting. I was a bit disappointed by the blurb of this book - it paints a completely different picture of what this book is actually all about. 

Has anyone else read this book? What Are your Thoughts?

Lots of Love Till Next Time...
Rachel x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile & I read each one, I will always try to reply - please leave links to your blog! xxx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...